Tuesday 30 August 2016

Rick Zabel joins Katusha on two-year contract - News shorts

http://ift.tt/2bzgrmM

Rick Zabel joins Katusha for 2017

Rick Zabel is set to move to Katusha next season on a two-year contract, joining fellow German Tony Martin, who signed earlier this month. The jump to Katusha also brings him together with his father Erik Zabel, who works as a liaison with the team for their bike supplier Canyon.

At 22, Zabel is in his third season as a professional with the BMC Racing team. His step up to professional level came with much fanfare, as the son of Erik Zabel and the winner to the under-23 Tour of Flanders in 2013. The younger Zabel says that he is not concerned with the shadow that his father’s career casts and looks forward to playing a role in Alexander Kristoff’s lead-out train.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“For me, it is no problem that people look at me as ‘the son of’. I am born as his son, and I am proud of him, just as he is proud of me. It is nice to be part of the family story,” said Zabel. “Team Katusha is becoming a more and more international team, and with Tony Martin and Nils Politt I will have two other German riders around me. I look forward to being part of this team.

“Most of all I will be happy to have a place in a team focusing on the classics too. I want to play a very active role in the lead-out for Alexander Kristoff. It is nice to work for a big rider and learning from his experience. Of course, I dream of my own successes, but that’s for later; I am still very young.”

Rick Zabel (BMC)

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2bEiDE4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...