Tuesday 30 August 2016

Meersman to ride for Fortuneo Vital Concept in 2017

http://ift.tt/2bzgrmM

The Fortuneo Vital Concept team has confirmed it has signed Belgian sprinter Gianni Meersman for 2017, boosting the roster of the French Professional Continental team. He is the third new signing for 2017 and will join Arnold Jeannesson and Laurent Pichon.

The team had a successful Tour de France with young British sprinter Dan McLay finishing in the top ten on four stages and taking a close third place behind Mark Cavendish and Marcel Kittel on stage six.

30-year-old Meersman has opted to move on from the Etixx-QuickStep team and agreed to a one-year contract. The Belgian is riding the Vuelta a Espana and has won stages in Baiona and Lugo during the first week of racing. Meersman turned professional with the Discovery Channel team in 2006 before a four-year spell at FDJ. He returns to a French team after four years with Patrick Lefevere’s squad.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"The team quickly showed an interest in me and that impressed me," Meersman said of his new team for 2017.

"There is a balance between my expectations and the team's plans. I'd been on contact Emmanuel Hubert for some time, I'd given him my word, so my two victories in the Vuelta won't change anything. This is a competitive team where I can have the freedom to express myself in some events. The race programme is very interesting and I look forward to riding the Coupe de France races and I hope the Tour de France too. The team's management made it clear they believe in me. It's very important to have the confidence of the staff and my teammates to get results."

Despite being Flemish, Meersman is not concerned about speaking French with his new teammates.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2bAfRCw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...