Tuesday 30 August 2016

Contador vows to fight on in Vuelta a Espana

http://ift.tt/2bzgrmM

A defiant Alberto Contador (Tinkoff) has insisted that he will continue to fight for the overall classification in the Vuelta a España even if, as he put it in a rest day press conference on Tuesday, "things are not going to be at all straightforward from here on in."

Currently fifth overall at nearly three minutes from Nairo Quintana (Movistar) and with bandages and scars on his left arm and leg, Contador even joked a little when asked directly what kind of condition he really felt he was in at this point in the Vuelta.

"Physically? Mentally? In terms of morale?" Contador said with a broad grin. "I'm fine, I'm going to enjoy what the race holds ahead of me and I'm happy there are lots of hard days left in the Vuelta."

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"There are lots more opportunities. I have to remember I'm a long way down on Nairo and his team is very strong. That makes things a lot more difficult."

"But if I'm here in the Vuelta, I'm not here just to make up the numbers."

Contador recognised that he had made some errors on the ascent to Covadonga by attacking and then losing a lot of power later on, which caused him to lose time on his rivals. "I've got a lot of very different sensations, but I think I'm going to be more cautious from now on," he observed.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2bzFmUD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...