Tuesday 28 March 2017

Team Illuminate starts season with stage win at Tour de Taiwan

http://ift.tt/2mKlJjS

Team Illuminate started the 2017 season with victory in Taipei when Colombian Edwin Avila won the opening stage at the UCI 2.1 Tour de Taiwan on Sunday.

Avila overcame the wet and slippery conditions in the finale to take the bunch sprint win over JLT Condor's Russell Downing and RTS-Monton's Paolo Lunardon.

"I'm very happy to get the victory today in Stage 1,” Avila said. “This is a great way to start the season for myself and Team Illuminate.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"The race today was dangerous,” he continued. “I saw the rain and this was a good opportunity for me. I jumped with about 500m to go, there were three corners and with the rain I knew I had to be at the front. Thank god, it worked and I got the win."

Avila wore the race leader's jersey into stage 2, a 114km circuit race in Taipei, where he finished third on the day and earned the green points jersey but lost the overall lead to stage winner James Gullen (JLT Condor). Avila is currently second overall – just one second behind Gullen and eight seconds ahead of JLT Condor's Edmund Bradbury – with three stages remaining.

Team Illuminate General Manager Chris Johnson was ecstatic about Avila's win on Sunday.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2o482MM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...