Monday 27 March 2017

Schurter/Stirnemann seal 2017 Cape Epic victory

http://ift.tt/2onDr9d

Nino Schurter and Matthias Stirnemann sealed their first Cape Epic overall victory as the Scott-SRAM duo crossed the line in fourth place as Scott-SRAM Young Guns duo Michiel Van der Heijden and Andri Frischknecht grabbed their second stage win of the race. In the women's race, Esther Suss and Jennie Stenerhag sealed their overall victory while Cadel Evans and George Hincapie (BMC Absa Racing Team) held on for the masters win

"The plan was to come here in 2018 and win, but we are a year early!" said Schurter. "This is very special. To win the Olympics and then come to South Africa and win the Absa Cape Epic, that is great. After Rio it was always my intention to come and win the race, but this has taken us by surprise. I thought next year would be our year. We are ahead of schedule."

The duo did even extended their lead over Christoph Sauser and Jaroslav Kulhavy (Investec-Songo-Specialized) in their final race together. The final place on the podium went to Nicola Rohrbach and Daniel Geismayr (Centurion Vaude 2).

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

For Stenerhag, it was a particularly emotional victory coming a year after she abandoned the race before undergoing heart surgery.

"I can't stop crying. I am so happy … it is just unbelievable," said Stenerhag. "I don't know what date it is today, but I think it is four days until exactly a year after my heart operation.

"Since that day my biggest goal was to try and come back to win this race. To pull it through is something completely unreal. I cannot believe that I am standing here as the winner.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://ift.tt/2onu09Q

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...