Tuesday 28 March 2017

Durbridge continues impressive spring campaign with De Panne opener

http://ift.tt/2nsMRkf

After finishing fourth at Dwars door Vlaanderen last week, Luke Durbridge (Orica-Scott) said that consistently making the selections was key to his progress in the spring classics. After managing just that at E3-Harelbeke two days later, again finishing fourth, the Australian impressed once again on the opening stage of the Three Days of De Panne, finishing second behind solo winner Philippe Gilbert (Quick-Step Floors).

De Panne may be a stage race but, nestled between last week's trio of one-day races and Sunday's Tour of Flanders, each stage 'must be treated as a classic', as Durbridge pointed out. Indeed, the opening leg from De Panne to Zottegem took in a few of the hellgingen that adorn the De Ronde route, including the Leberg, Berendries, Ten Bosse, and a double ascent of the famous Muur van Geraardsbergen, which is making a comeback this Sunday.

Durbridge made the boat when Gilbert, who finished ahead of him in second place at Dwars and E3, accelerated on the first ascent of the Muur with 65 kilometres remaining, and he was the best of the rest when the Belgian champion punched his way clear over the second ascent. It seemed like Durbridge might use his time trialling background to regain contact on the 16km run to the line – which nevertheless included another short climb – but he was unable to make any inroads.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"That's the problem; one of my little weaknesses is that when it really, really, really gets steep, I just can't seem to hold, and Phil's one of the best in the world when it comes to steep climbs. I got gapped a bit and I thought I'd ride back on, but I think I realized he had a gap and knew he had good legs. I tried to time trial back, but I just couldn't close it.

"I thought Phil might get sick of riding by himself and might want a helping hand. That's my skill, TT'ing. Once I get the gap just settle in and ride to the finish, I was hoping that could incrementally pull him back, but it wasn't to be."

Gilbert rode up as Durbridge was speaking to journalists and gave him a warm embrace. There is clearly a good deal of respect between the two riders, who are expected to be among those rubbing shoulders towards the head of the race on Sunday.

'Maybe my time trialling ability has come down'

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2nfbCP6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...