Tuesday 28 March 2017

Kristoff punctures and Martin crashes during tough Gent-Wevelgem for Katusha

http://ift.tt/2mKlJjS

Alexander Kristoff admitted to being worried by his form after E3-Harelbeke, where he finished 27th in the second main group on the road, offering no excuses other than his legs were simply "not strong enough." A couple of days on, he received some small reassurances, even if he finished way down in 73rd place at Gent-Wevelgem.

Kristoff punctured coming off the third and final section of Plugstreets – the gravel roads that were introduced to the race for the first time with around 60km to go – but his wheel change was slow and there were splits up ahead. He chased alone for several kilometres, but when the race exploded on the second ascent of the Kemmelberg, he was still some way down the approach road to the climb, and it was clear his day was done.

"I punctured right at a bad moment - there wasn't so much I could do about it," Kristoff told Cyclingnews outside the Katusha-Alpecin team bus.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"I felt good but what can I do when I puncture just at the end of the gravel when the race is really on? I tried really hard to come back, but even though I felt I had good power it was going to be hard. When I caught back up with the cars, actually, they then stopped the cars, so I had trouble there, too."

Despite circumstances robbing him of the chance to provide any concrete answers to the doubts that emerged at Harelbeke, the 29-year-old nevertheless saw more than a glimpse of promise, with the all-important Tour of Flanders coming up next Sunday. Kristoff will ride this week's Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde to clock up some extra racing kilometres before the big day. 

"I felt better today – actually quite good," he added. "With the puncture at that moment, I know anyway in my best shape I don't have a chance. I couldn't have done anything differently today. It's a pity because I think I could have been there fighting for a good result.

Martin ready to go 'full gas again' at the Tour of Flanders

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2o44Z7h

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...