Tuesday 27 September 2016

Skinner releases medical records following TUE leak

http://ift.tt/2dqeZiB

Callum Skinner has released his medical records and an accompanying statement in a bid to safeguard his reputation after the Fancy Bears hacking group released details of his past Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUE).

Though TUE’s don’t involve any breach of anti-doping rules, the leaks have brought them under the spotlight, with the suspicion that they create a grey area whereby an athlete can apply for medical treatment which enhances performance under a spurious medical pretext.

Skinner, who won a gold and silver medal on the track for Great Britain at the Rio Olympics, has availed of two TUEs in his career to treat asthma, a condition that has raised eyebrows given its prevalence among the elite athletes whose TUE histories have been made public.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“When I went on Twitter and saw a headline with my name and stories with my picture I knew that people would be sceptical and think my TUEs could be questionable," Skinner writes in The Scotsman

"And to be honest, I sympathise. I imagine myself a few years ago, as a cycling fan. I would have read the headline, not bothered opening the article, and moved on, putting two and two together and concluding that it all sounded a bit dodgy."

“After the leak I resolved to release my NHS medical records, so I’ve spent the past week phoning doctors I’ve seen and the hospitals to which I have been admitted on four occasions having suffered asthma attacks. I was keen to make my records public for two reasons: to prove that my condition is real, but also to show that asthma need not stop somebody competing at the highest level.”

The asthma

Explanation for the TUEs

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2diAsNg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...