Thursday 29 September 2016

Powers aiming to bounce back after disastrous week of 'cross

http://ift.tt/2cOUw8S

US Cyclo-cross champion Jeremy Powers was expected to be challenging for top results in the two rounds of the UCI World Cup held on home soil last week, but injury and illness thwarted his efforts.

After taking back-to-back victories in the first races of the season in Rochester, New York, Powers crashed in the warm-up of the Trek CXC Cup and dropped out of the race. He managed 18th in the CrossVegas World Cup, but caught a cold and could only muster 43rd in the next round in Iowa, the Jingle Cross.

"It was definitely not how I scripted it," Powers said to Cyclingnews.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"It was not good. It ended before it started for me with that crash at Trek. I fell on my left side at high speed and hit my ribcage really hard. I got up and walked it off, but it was very clear it was bad. I was in quite a bit of pain an hour later. It was a stupid crash but it ended up being pretty significant over the week."

Powers had a chiropractor on hand to treat him so that he could race before Vegas, but the hectic travel schedule from Wisconsin to Nevada and on to Iowa in nine days led him to catch a cold before Jingle Cross.

"It really stunk. I put in a huge amount of work to get into what I'd consider peak condition for the racing week, and it just went pear shaped from the gun. It was not ideal at all."

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2dI35UA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...