Tuesday 29 December 2015

Edward Theuns Q&A: Belgian looking to turn podium finishes into victories

http://ift.tt/1QUiuOX

As professional cycling explores new corners of the globe, there is still a steady stream of young riders emerging from the sport’s heartlands - Flandrien Edward Theuns, 24, is one of them. He is a rising Classics star who has moved from Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise to the WorldTour with Trek-Segafredo for 2016.

Theuns was second at this year’s Dwars door Vlaanderen behind his teammate, second at Scheldeprijs behind Alexander Kristoff, and a further 11 times in the top-10 at one-day races. These performances have paved his path to a WorldTour contract and heightened expectations.

Cyclingnews caught up with the Belgian at Trek-Segafredo’s winter camp in Spain to discuss 2015, linking up with Fabian Cancellara, and what lies ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Cyclingnews: First of all, now you’ve had a bit of time to reflect, how do you assess your 2015 season?

Edward Theuns: “I’m really proud of my season. I was very good for all of the season, so that’s a good sign. I only won three races, so maybe for a rider like me that’s not enough but I had a lot of second and third places, so if I can turn those into victories that would be better.

“I had a breakthrough in the Flemish races – they’re the races I really like – so I hope I continue to do well. I showed I can win those races, I was second in Dwars, but I think I was the strongest, so I really think I can win those races.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1YLhKQz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...