Saturday 26 December 2015

BikeRadar gear of the year: Oli Woodman's 2015 picks

http://ift.tt/1NGIfON

Eeek it’s that time already, where does all the time go (etc etc)? A generally busy year kept me off my mountain bike far more than I’d anticipated, but the unexpected flipside of this was finding enjoyment from a road bike for the first time in well… ever. Maybe I’m just getting old. Either way, here are the bits and bobs from this year that I’d give my own seal of approval.

Elephant bike

Nope, I’m not on commission! I know I’ve spoke about these bikes a lot, but the fact of the matter is I’m still struggling to get my head around quite how neat they are for the money. Also, unlike most products you’ll see on this website, here’s one that genuinely will improve the lives of others.

For those not in the know, £250 (about $372 / AU$523 at time of writing) can now get you an ex-Royal Mail Pashley postie bike – specifically one that has been refurbished by young offenders here in the UK. Better still, the charity behind these bikes ensures that for every Elephant bike sold in the UK, one will also be sent to Malawi, Africa, where it’ll make a difference to the livelihood of less bike-fortunate people.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

As an ownership proposition they’re a leisurely and comfortable way to travel, particularly for those who want to carry large loads. I’d say they carry an inexplicable charm that you only get from old, solid machinery. Occasionally maintain the simple, proven parts and it could well outlast you – not bad for £250. 

Hell, the Elephant bike has even crept in on my personal life, it was only a couple of weeks back that I was putting the finishing touches to an Elephant bike that now belongs to my girlfriend’s mother. Kind of wish I was on commission now…

For an in-depth story behind the Elephant bike check here, or for my first ride impressions read here.

Norco Search

Empire Cycles MX6-EVO

Camelbak Hawg NV pack

Strava

Calibre Bossnut

Check out all of our 2015 Gear of the Year articles

You can read more at BikeRadar.com



via BikeRadar All the latest from BikeRadar.com http://ift.tt/1NGIhGj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...