Monday, 12 October 2015

Valverde receives WorldTour prize at UCI Cycling Gala

http://ift.tt/1jZptI4

Alejandro Valverde received his UCI WorldTour individual prize at the inaugural Cycling Gala and dinner in Abu Dhabi on Sunday to confirm the Movistar rider as the top ranked cyclist for the second year running. The 35-year-old was one of several protagonists of the season to be honoured at the end of year celebration in the UAE, including his Movistar team which was awarded the top WorldTour prize for the third straight year.

"These three years  in a row winning the World Tour are something really important, which we deserved after such an impressive work from the whole team: riders, staff, sports directors... a group full of human values and bonds that was able to fulfil our goals," said Valverde of the team prize

Valverde's WorldTour victory was built upon victories at La Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège while podium finishes at Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, Amstel Gold Race, Tour de France and Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian along with top-ten finishes at the Critérium du Dauphiné, Vuelta a Espana and Il Lombardia.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"My individual victory? It's the result of teamwork, a proof of consistency, a consequence of always having great team-mates by my side, helping me out everywhere, always keeping me at the front, making sure I don't miss anything... I put my legs, my training, taking care of myself, riding harder than the others - there's no other secret than everyone's job," Valverde said of his individual victory which saw him finish on 675 points.

Valverde has proven himself to be one of the most consistent riders in the peloton as a win in January to start his season and seventh overall at the Abu Dhabi Tour to finish suggests. As a two-time winner of the WorldTour's predecessor, the ProTour, since his 2003 podium finish at the Vuelta a Espana Valverde's consistency was briefly halted by a two-year doping ban but since his 2012 return he's hardly missed a beat.

"I don't know if I'm the strongest rider around, but it's true that I'm always there, in good position, performing strong," he said. "That's one of the ways to explain how I won this ranking four times - also that I like cycling, it's my passion. It's also a job, a hard sport, but passion above all. Every bit of suffering is easier to bear this way.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1LKbClp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...