Thursday 29 October 2015

Brennan to step down as co-race director of Tour of the Gila after 2016

http://ift.tt/1kf0GzP

After 16 years of running the Silver City-based stage race Tour of the Gila, Jack Brennan will step down as co-race director following the 30th annual running of the event in 2016. In an interview with Cyclingnews, Brennan said that although the event has meant a lot to him, he is ready to move on to something new.

“This will be my last year as race director,” Brennan told Cyclingnews. “Not to throw my wife under the bus but she is a retired school teacher and she has been retired for four years, and I’m turning 65 in April. A couple of years ago I decided to do three more years, and this will be the third of three. It’s time for me to move on. But I’m still race director for 2016.”

Brennan and Michelle Gilles took over as co-race directors of the Tour of the Gila in 2000. Brennan said that Gilles will continue to stay on as a race director, and his position will likely be filled by several new hires beginning in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“Michelle will stay around as co-director, which is great because she does a lot of stuff, but there might be two or three people to take over my position - a team.”

Brennan, who bought a partnership into the local Gila Hike & Bike in 1988, has been working in various roles with the Tour of the Gila for 28 years before taking over as co-race director with Gilles from previous race director Mark Wilson.

“The very first year, I helped with T-shirt sales and then it kind of grew into more and more responsibilities,” Brennan said. “I gradually learned more about it and did different things. I was assistant race director with Wilson for a number of years. You kind of just move up in it.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/20e9qqG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...