Friday 26 January 2018

Vuelta a San Juan: Najar wins stage 5

http://ift.tt/2GljGc5

Argentinean national champion Gonzalo Najar gave the local fans a thrill by taking out the queen stage of the Vuelta a San Juan for his home SEP de San Juan team on the Alto Colorado. The squad waged an audacious triple attack at the base of the final climb, launching Najar into a solo breakaway to score a provincial coup d'etat.

His advantage at the line was generous enough to put him into the overall race lead.

"I have to say thank you to all the people here along the roadside," Najar said in the post-race press conference. "In my mind I had quite a lot of things in the last kilometre. I felt a lot of support from the people, and thankfully this stage was like we planned in the morning."

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

That plan included launching multiple attacks to break one of the team's riders free with a solo move a long way out from the finish. The team executed the plan perfectly, launching Najar with 20km from the line and into a blistering tailwind that helped neutralise the chase.

"When we attacked the descent before the final climb, Lotto was starting to push hard and I saw that my legs were good," he said. "First my teammate Dotti tried and then it was my turn. I think I calculated perfectly my attack.

"I was here two or three times training, and then in the morning we woke up very early at six o'clock in the morning and our sports director showed us a video that motivated us a lot to try and surge the general classification today."

How it unfolded

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vuelta-ciclista-a-la-provincia-de-san-juan-2018/stage-5/results

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...