Wednesday 31 January 2018

Attention to detail pays dividends for Clancy in Herald Sun Tour

http://ift.tt/2GyZZxs

Google Maps research and an extensive recon of the Herald Sun Tour prologue course on the banks of the Yarra River proved extremely valuable for Ed Clancy. A triple Olympic gold medalist on the track, Clancy's preparation was vital in his win by seven-hundredths of a second over Mads Pedersen. It was Clancy's first professional win on the road, and with it, a debut race leader's jersey.

With the race decided by less than a second, Clancy's research of the adjusted parcours, which was reduced this year to 1.6 kilometers from 2.1 in 2017, proved to be the winning edge.

"I spent a lot of time thinking about it, looking at it on Google maps because I have never done this course before, trying to suss out the corners and road surface and so on," Clancy explained. "I just broke it down into three parts. There was easy time to be made off the line. There was easy time to be made accelerating in that first left-hander, assuming you don't crash around it either. Then I figured it being moderately technical around the footpath that as long as you commit and hope for the best, it would be much of a muchness around there. Then it just comes down to a drag race in the last five hundred metres. In the last five hundred metres, it felt like I was pedalling in sand. Speaking to a few other guys, it was the same story. It worked out and it was a tense hour but I am dead happy."

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Clancy's time in the hot seat was equivalent to over 50 of his race-winning rides but well worth the wait. The course recon and time on google maps made the difference.

“I am absolutely buzzing honestly. I am used to riding on the track with Team GB and you try to keep it fresh but there is this sort of expectation to go out there and get world medals and Olympic medals," he said. "You almost become accustomed to it even after a decade. On the road, this is still new to me. This is big for a guy like me and perhaps as big as it is going to get. I am over the moon and I can't wait to ride around in the yellow jersey tomorrow. I think everyone here knows what I am about and no one is expecting me to take on Chaves on stage 3, so I am going to enjoy my day in yellow."

Of his team pursuit Olympic medal-winning teammates, the Barnsley born Clancy hasn't pursued a road career in the same manner of Bradley Wiggins, Geraint Thomas or Peter Kennaugh. Clancy now has a yellow jersey to match Wiggins' from the 2009 Herald Sun Tour, a year after the duo's gold medal in Beijing, but at 32 Clancy isn't considering a late discipline change.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/attention-to-detail-pays-dividends-for-clancy-in-herald-sun-tour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...