Wednesday 31 January 2018

Chapman wins Women's Herald Sun Tour

http://ift.tt/2GAn9DV

Brodie Chapman sealed overall Women's Herald Sun Tour victory Wednesday evening, holding off world time trial champion Annemiek van Vleuten in the 1.6km race against the clock. The stage was won by van Vleuten with Chapman in 17th place.

"To wear it makes me proud and it does remind me of winning and being world champion. To win in the world champion in Australia makes me really proud," van Vlueten said of winning, tipping her hat to Chapman as a "smart" and "strong" rider deserving of victory.

Chapman, 26, built her overall win with solo victory on stage 1 into Healesville with her 12-second advantage over van Vleuten enough time to pull off the upset result of the summer. Despite clawing back time Chapman, van Vleuten was forced to settle for second place on the general classification by five seconds. Chloe Hosking held onto her third place overall on the podium at 1:03 minutes to Chapman.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"It does feel really good and I am glad I could pull it off for the team in the end of the day," said Chapman. "It would have been optimistic to really hold her off that much. She is the world time trial champion. My prerogative was to keep it tidy, and stay safe which is what I did.

"I am always nervous before a race because I care about it, you just have to use that nervous energy to pull it into the race. I also don't want to be serious so that it stresses me out."

Of the 81 starters to take to the course, Libby Arbuckle was the first to roll out. The New Zealander briefly slotting into the hot seat before Rachele Barbieri (Wiggle-High5) took over with a 2:15 minute ride. Annette Edmondson quickly disposing her teammate by two seconds and moving into the lead. A stirring ride one day ahead of track nationals for the South Australian and continuation of her good road form over January.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/womens-herald-sun-tour-2018/stage-2/results

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...