Tuesday 30 January 2018

Hayman: I told my wife to shoot me if I do another year

http://ift.tt/2noZzli

He turns 40 later this spring and while retirement is on the horizon at some point in the near future Mathew Hayman has not made any concrete decisions beyond the end of this campaign. The former Paris-Roubaix winner turned pro in 2000 and has become one of the most loyal and trusted domestiques in the modern peloton but with the prospect of hanging up his wheels looming ever closer the Mitchelton-Scott rider has begun to contemplate a life after pro cycling and what it could mean for him and his young family.

In this personal interview with Cyclingnews, Hayman talks about denial over one day having to stop, how coping with the transition away from racing could affect him, and how having fun in his final outings as a rider is one of his main priorities.

Cyclingnews: When were you first asked, 'is this going to be your final year?

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Mathew Hayman: Probably a couple of years ago. And now it's turning around the other way. Now that I'm starting to contemplate this being my final year people seem to be shocked by it. For a couple of years people were asking 'when are you going to stop, when are you going to stop?' but now I've told them that this could be it, they come back and ask 'well why would you stop?'

CN: Have you made your decision in your mind?

MH: If you'd asked me a few months ago I would have said for sure that this was the last year, not that I've not decided yet. It's not set in stone but I'm a bit more comfortable about it. I got to January, February in 2017 and I felt that it wasn't going to be my final season. I wanted to come back to the Tour Down Under and there were a few other things I wanted to do. Last year I knew that I wanted to do another year but I don't know about next year yet.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/hayman-i-told-my-wife-to-shoot-me-if-i-do-another-year

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...