Monday 28 November 2016

Van der Poel takes dominant victory in Flandriencross Hamme

http://ift.tt/2gNQHEi

Dutch champion Mathieu van der Poel (Beobank-Corendon) seems unbeatable these days. The 21-year-old won the third round of the DVV Trophy in Hamme, Belgium on Sunday afternoon, only a day removed from a World Cup victory in Zeven, Germany.

Van der Poel completed nearly the entire race solo in Hamme, maintaining a narrow lead over eventual runner-up Wout Van Aert (Crelan-Vastgoedservice) and third-placed Laurens Sweeck (ERA Real Estate - Circus) all the way to the line.

"Today I suffered a lot. I figured to keep the gap at 10 seconds but behind me they kept going flat out. Luckily I can handle the pressure of dealing with a lead but I was glad to cross the finish line," van der Poel told Sporza.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Laurens Sweeck enjoyed the best start. The 22 year-old Belgian quickly tried to create a gap. "I wanted to open fast but Mathieu quickly came over me," Sweeck said. Tom Meeusen (Telenet-Fidea) took the early initiative in limiting Sweeck’s advantage, with Van Aert and van der Poel waiting for their moment.

Van der Poel accelerated to the front in the second lap just before the intermediate sprint. He picked up 15 bonus seconds and Meeusen 10 seconds. Sweeck picked up the final five seconds but he was losing ground on the leaders, with Van Aert on his wheel.

"When Mathieu accelerated I wasn't in the right position to react. I was struggling at that moment," Van Aert told Sporza.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://ift.tt/2fr86Cw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...