Tuesday 29 November 2016

Jack Bobridge calls it quits on cycling career

http://ift.tt/2g1XyWD

Australian Jack Bobridge has decided to end his professional cycling career at age 27 rather than continue to suffer from the rheumatoid arthritis that has been exacerbated by a heavy training and racing schedule.

In an exclusive interview with The Advertiser, Bobridge said that the suffering was not worth it anymore.

"There's pain in my feet, hands and my back. When you get the flare ups your body is fighting it and a Grand Tour is hard enough as it is," Bobridge said.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"I don't really care what anyone else thinks I could have done or what I've done, I only went back to Europe this year to finalise things in my own head and I found it wasn't enjoyable with the arthritis and the pain," he said. "I could drag on for three or four years but come 40 or 50 the damage it's going to do and the arthritis in my body ... I don't see sport is worth it."

With less riding, he says he feels much better.

"Since the (Rio) Games and backing off the training and racing load I've found my arthritis has been 100 per cent better and I've been able to get off all meds (medication) as well," he said.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2fN1blH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...