Sunday 27 November 2016

5 ways riding a fixie will make you a better cyclist

http://ift.tt/2fnH1Qz

There's training and then there's taking a radical approach to get radical results. Rather than train on the same bike and the same roads in the same spare hour that you always do, why not get fixed? Riding a fixed gear will make you a stronger and better cyclist.

A few winters ago, I added a fixie to my bike stable as a hassle-free commuting steed. People’s reaction to it ranged from concerned curiosity: “So how exactly do you stop?”, to almost aggressive dismissal of my sanity: “That’s just stupid, dangerous and irresponsible!” However, the more I rode it, the more I loved it. 

I’m not going to get all pseudo-spiritual and harp on about the seamless connection of man and machine making for a meditative experience and transcending mere transportation. What I loved was the fact that it was ripping my legs to shreds every time I rode it. It gave me leg speed I’d only previously dreamed of and tapped power from muscles I’d never previously used on a bike.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

I started doing 2-3 hour rides on it, seeking rolling hills and taking masochistic pleasure in the pain I was able to inflict on myself. Come the end of the winter, I was a transformed rider, smashing previous personal bests and riding mates off my wheel with ease.

So, how can going fixie transform you?

1. Fixed disciplines your cadence/pedal stroke

A smooth fast cadence is the most efficient way to ride. On the flat and slight downhills a fixed forces you to spin your legs and develop the fast and even pedal stroke that the French refer to as 'souplesse'. 

2. Fixed addresses your top-end grunt

3. Fixed develops your speed and strength

4. Fixed puts you in a coast-free zone

5. Fixed hones your riding skills

You can read more at BikeRadar.com



via BikeRadar All the latest from BikeRadar.com http://ift.tt/2guQNfH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...