Tuesday 31 October 2017

Garfoot to step away from racing in Europe

http://ift.tt/2gWhUWS

Katrin Garfoot has told News Corp that she won't return to racing in Europe with Orica-Scott next season, choosing instead to stay home in Australia to focus on family and winning gold in the time trial at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast of Australia where she lives.

"I decided in May that I did not want to race in Europe next season and that was before all that happened with Cycling Australia and Orica," she told News Corp.

"There's just more to life [than pro cycling] and I'm married. My first plan was just to do it until the [Rio] Olympics but I wasn't going that well that year so I thought Comm Games," she said. 

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"Chris [Garfoot's husband, ed.] is here by himself and I'm in Europe, and that's not very ideal. I could still race another four years, but I do value family because that's actually what lasts past racing, I want to maintain that. You've just got to make decisions in life, and I do love time trialling, but road racing is more a love/hate relationship, and one part of that is I have to stay in Europe away from family.

"There are a lot of different plans floating around in my head, but I haven't had time to sit down and figure those out because there is so much else that's more urgent."

Garfoot appears to be in the form of her life after finishing second to Chantal Black in the UCI Road World Championships last month in Bergen, where she finished third in the time trial behind Dutch riders Annemiek van Vleuten and Anna van der Breggen. She is the reigning Australian time trial and road race champion after changing citizenship from German to Australian in 2014.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2xE1J3E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...