Monday 25 September 2017

Carmen Small retires from professional cycling

http://ift.tt/2yCZOxb

Carmen Small has officially called time on her career after battling with the after-effects of a concussion following a crash in March. The American will take up the role of sports director with Team Virtu Cycling - formerly Veloconcept - a position that she has held on a part-time basis during her lengthy lay-off this season.

"I think it’s a lot of mixed feelings," Small said in a team press release.

"Every time I am at a race it is hard and especially being at Worlds and watching them race. I miss bike racing – it's my first love – and it’s hard not to do it, but I enjoy my new role and I’m getting a lot of joy and excitement working with the girls and give my passion to them. I am happy I am stopping while I’m still enjoying the sport."

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Small joined the team at the start of the season with the intent of combining her racing with gaining experience as a sports director. However, she crashed hard during at the Ronde van Drenthe and has not been able to return to racing action since.

In an interview with Cyclingnews in June, she discussed her recovery and said that she had been suffering from daily headaches that often prevented her from training properly. While laid off, Small has been using her knowledge to help the young riders on the team and believes that transitioning from rider to DS in such a short period will be an asset.

"I think it is really beneficial because I’ve been racing - I came basically straight into being a DS,” said Small. “I know the girls, the races, the courses and I know how the girls race because I was just racing them. I think it is hugely beneficial when it comes to tactics, understanding what the girls are going through, and the pain that it takes to be the best, because I’ve done it myself.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2yCybV2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...