Wednesday 27 September 2017

Hosking moves on after Worlds selection controversy with Tokyo 2020 her aim

http://ift.tt/2fyiJVe

Chloe Hosking is ready to put the episode involving her initial non-selection for the UCI Road World Championships to bed as she looks to the future and the Tokyo Games in 2020.

Hosking was initially left out of the Australian squad but won the right to compete after an appeal. Cycling Australia were allocated a quota of seven spots in the women's event but selected just five, citing sporting reasons. The decision not to send a full line-up to Bergen caused dismay and controversy, with both Hosking and Rachel Neylan filing successful appeals.

New Australian high-performance director Simon Jones admitted to Cyclingnews on the eve of the women's race that he would possibly have done things differently, but according to Hosking the pair have started to repair what looked on the outside as a troubling situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"I seem to get on with him quite well," Hosking told Cyclingnews after the women's road race. "I've only just met him really, but he seems to understand the Australian sense of humour and I've definitely not gone easy on him. I've made a few jokes, but he seems to take it all in his stride.

"I met with him and my coach as soon as the five were announced, and he talked me through what his plans were and it was probably the most positive meeting I've ever had with Cycling Australia in my career, but the principle was that we deserved to have seven riders and it sent the wrong message to female cyclist in Australia. But I'm looking forward to working with him in the lead up to Tokyo, and I think today was a step in the right direction for me as a rider."

Australia claimed a silver medal in the women's road race thanks to Katrin Garfoot's canny ride. The result will no doubt lift the pressure on the management, but for Hosking the reason for her appeal was due to principle.

More like Ina-Yoko Teutenberg

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2xHgpS9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...