Saturday 26 August 2017

Vuelta a Espana: Former U23 world champion Mohoric nets first WorldTour win

http://ift.tt/2wQm605

When Matej Mohoric (UAE Team Emirates) claimed his Vuelta a Espana stage win on Friday, there was an odd sense that such a prestigious victory had been long in the making - which is strange, given he is only 22.

“It’s been a very long time since my last big win, so it feels great to get a victory again," Mohoric said after taking out stage 7 of the Vuelta from the day's breakaway.

Mohoric captured the win by playing fully to his strengths, making it into a day-long break of 14, powering away over the top of the Alto del Castillo in Cuenca, then keeping his closest pursuers - Pawel Poljanski (Bora-Hansgrohe), Jose Joaquin Rojas (Movistar) and Thomas De Gendt (Lotto Soudal) - at 10 to 15 seconds. A narrow advantage, but enough to ensure he crossed the line alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“I’m not a good sprinter, so I knew I had to get away before the descent and the finish,” Mohoric said. “I was in the break when [Alexey] Lutsenko (Astana Pro Team) won [on stage 5 at the Santa Lucia summit finish - ed.] and I felt very good, even if such a steep final wasn’t suited to my characteristics, I still got fourth.

"I’m a pretty good descender and I needed to get away over the downhill, so that’s when I attacked,” he said.

The Slovenian’s first WorldTour victory was taken much in the manner he won the U23 world championships at an impressively young age of 18 in Florence back in 2013. That accomplishment came one year after Mohoric won the Junior world championships in Valkenberg in 2012, beating Australia’s Caleb Ewan.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2w6OfPG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...