Sunday 27 August 2017

Vuelta a Espana: Contador only rider to match Froome

http://ift.tt/2w9bs3I

Alberto Contador (Trek-Segafredo) gained time on all of his rivals barring Chris Froome (Team Sky) at the Xorret de Cati, but the Spanish veteran seemed only partly satisfied with his performance on stage 8 of the Vuelta a España.

Sitting in one of the few shady areas at the finish on a day when temperatures soared into the high 30s, Contador explained how he had initially distanced Froome, but that he knew that a counter-attack by the Briton would be coming at some point.

Contador managed to claw back time on Froome after hitting a difficult patch when the Briton, having duly counter-attacked, accelerated hard. But by the summit, Contador was the only rider who could remain with the Sky rider.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

However, while able to open up gaps ranging from 17 seconds on Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida), Esteban Chaves (Orica-Scott) and Fabio Aru (Astana Pro Team) to nearly a minute on Simon Yates (Orica-Scott), Contador said he had not felt as strong as he had hoped.

“It’s good we keep on confirming that the time I lost in Andorra was a glitch, but Froome was going really well,” Contador said.

“But I wasn’t as good as I’d have liked, so after I attacked I changed tactics and I stayed with a Cannondale rider because I knew Froome would be coming up from behind.”

“He got back on, there was a moment while I could hold his pace, and I held him for quite a while. But then I needed to catch my breath, I eased back, and then I needed to change down three or four gears to get back on.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2wAwSb2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...