Monday 24 July 2017

Tour de France: Groenewegen wins on the Champs-Elysees

http://ift.tt/2uQzKiF

Chris Froome confirmed his fourth Tour de France victory by finishing in Paris. The Team Sky rider finished safely in the pack with his teammates as Dylan Groenewegen took a surprise sprint victory on the Champs-Élysées ahead of André Greipel.

"It's my first victory in the Tour de France, and on the perfect place for sprinters. It's a perfect day,” Groenewegen said after the 21st and final stage. "It's a dream, when I was a kid I watched the Champs-Élysées stage of the Tour on the television, so to win here today is an amazing feeling."

"The team did a great job to put me in a good position. Then I was in the wheel of Kristoff's lead-out, and sprinting on the left line."

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Froome and his team enjoyed the run into Paris, celebrating their fifth overall victory in six years. He beat Rigoberto Urán (Cannondale-Drapac) by 54 seconds with Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale) holding on for third.

"Each time I've won the Tour it's been so unique. So different. Such a different battle to get to this moment," Froome said. "They're all so special in their own way. This year, I think will be remembered for being the closest and most hard-fought battle between the GC rivals.

"Definitely a celebration is overdue. I'm looking forward to it."

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://ift.tt/2uQGi0z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...