Monday 24 July 2017

Carpenter seizes Cascade Classic victory on final day

http://ift.tt/2uQzKiF

It was a case of déjà vu at the Cascade Cycling Classic's final stage when Holowesko-Citadel's Robin Carpenter seized the lead on the final day by winning a time bonus at the finish.

Alex Howes (US National Team) took the final stage victory in Bend, Oregon, but Carpenter's second place and six-second time bonus lifted him past overnight leader Gavin Mannion (UnitedHealthcare) in the final general classification. Rally Cycling's Evan Huffman filled out the final podium in third.

"The last day is hard," Carpenter said before the final podium ceremony. "It's a good day to take it, a good day to save your bullets. It was definitely stressful. I have to say I was pretty relieved afterwards, but I'm kind of anxious anyway. When I know I'm coming to a race that I can win, then I'm just a head case. So I'm glad I kept it together long enough to win."

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

The finish of the Awbrey Butte circuit race was marred by chaos when the men's leaders caught the back of the women's field as they turned onto the final 500-metre climb.

Silber Pro Cycling's Stephen Bassett, who won the same stage last year, jumped away at the bottom of the climb and opened a gap, but he got tangled up with one of the women about 100 metres from the line and hit the deck hard.

"Bassett, really unfortunately for him, was just looking down and just ploughed into her, just a full-on yard sale," Carpenter said. "I was just a little bit behind and managed to get around. He was definitely going to podium and probably going to win, so that's too bad."

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://ift.tt/2uQuueS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...