Monday 30 January 2017

Mollema: The next step is to win a WorldTour stage race

http://ift.tt/2k9r7bH

Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo) has been knocking on the door of a Grand Tour podium for several years now, so it's something of a surprise that his overall victory at the Vuelta a San Juan, wrapped up on Sunday, was only the second stage race success of his career.

The Dutchman has been on the podium of Tirreno-Adriatico and the Tour de Suisse, but his only week-long victory before today was at the Tour of Alberta in 2015.

"When I came to this team I spoke to Luca Guercilena, and that was one of the really important things we spoke about," said Mollema, referring to the need to become a winner in the smaller stage races as a stepping stone to Grand Tour success.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"I haven't won so many stage races in my career so it gives me a lot of confidence that I'm on the right track, in the way I've been working over the last two years at this team.

"Personally, my next goal is to win a WorldTour stage race in Europe, like Tirreno. I've been second and third a lot in those kind of races so it's time to win one of them."

Mollema is clearly delighted with the progress he has made since joining the American team in 2015 – after seven years at Rabobank – and earlier in the week he spoke to Cyclingnews about the huge strides he's made in his time trialling.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2jvAW1D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...