Tuesday 31 January 2017

Dubai Tour: Sprinters relaxed before first clash - Gallery

http://ift.tt/2kMpy3d

The big-name sprinters gathered for the traditional pre-race Dubai Tour press conference on Monday afternoon. Yet while boxing weigh-ins before a prize fight are often tense, with the odd punch flying, Mark Cavendish, Marcel Kittel, John Degenkolb and Elia Viviani were far more passive than aggressive, seemingly uninterested in whipping up a rivalry on the first sprint showdown of the 2017 season.

Earlier the four sprinters posed for photos overlooking the Palm Jumeirah and in front of a chess set. Hopefully Tuesday’s first sprint finish on the edge of the Palm Jumeirah will spark more action.

Cavendish has been in the in the UAE for a week and his sunburnt cheeks highlighted his slim face. Nobody can accuse the Manxman of being out of shape this year. Cavendish has had just two and half weeks off during the winter after racing deep into November. As a consequence, he claimed he does not know how he will perform in the sprints.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“I’ve been here a week, I love it out here in UAE. There are more and more spectators now and with the start in the Marina, it’s a race riders want to comeback to. I know I do,” he said genuinely enthusiastic about his season debut.

“This year we’ll see how it goes. I didn’t finish the season until the end of November, I’m usually in training for the new season by then, so we need to see where I am. We’ve got a good Dimension Data team here and we’ll try to do as well as we can.”

Team Sky target the sprints and overall success

Elia Viviani looked fresh but had flown in from Argentina via Italy after making his season debut in the Vuelta a San Juan as part of an Italian national squad. He quit the race on Friday due to stomach problems after collecting three second places in sprints. He is hoping to step up here and use his form from Argentina to surprise his rivals who are making their season debut in Dubai.

“I think I had a really good winter and I’m really happy with my condition. I tested it last week in Argentina and we’re ready for Dubai,” he said, for once seeming more bullish than Cavendish.

“I want to win. I got three second places in San Juan and I hope to take my first win here. It’s a good way to start season with Team Sky, there’s one day more of racing, the stages are longer and the weather is good. I’m sure well have a good week.”

Viviani revealed that Team Sky also have plans for overall victory in the five day race.

“We're here for the sprints, and for the GC we’ve got Gianni Moscon. The hardest stage to Hatta Dam is not a real sprinter’s finish but he could do well. We’ll be focused on the leadouts and the GC.”

Degenkolb back to his best

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2kMfmI1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...