Tuesday 31 January 2017

Loren Rowney announces retirement - Women's News Shorts

http://ift.tt/2kMpy3d

Australian Loren Rowney has announced her retirement from cycling at the age of 28 after five years in the women's professional peloton. Rowney extended her contract with the Australian Orica-Scott team for another year at the end of 2016 but did not compete in any of the races on home soil over the 'summer of cycling'.

Rowney detailed her battles with mental health last year but managed to ride 48 race days in the season and enjoyed a stage victory at the Tour de Feminin. 

"The decision to call it quits meant I no longer had a nice sponsored bike living in my livingroom or garage, the envy of most at the cafe. A huge chapter of my life has just come to a close, and I’m feeling rather empty and directionless. I know it will take some time to process, and I haven’t had the greatest closure," wrote Rowney on the Peloton Brief. "Falling into a depressive state is a high risk based on my prior history with mental health. I recognise this, I acknowledge the facts about myself, but I am adamant this was the right decision for me, however sudden it might appear to some.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"And to the naysayers, no, I am not throwing an opportunity most would kill for. I took the opportunity when it was presented all those years ago, I ran with it, I learned and grew from it, but now it’s time to close this chapter. My only regret was perhaps not recognising that I had been kidding myself for some time."

Turning professional in 2012 with Specialized-lululemon, Rowney enjoyed stage wins at Women's Tour Of New Zealand, La Route de France, Gracia Orlova, Tour Languedoc Roussillon and La Route de France. Rowney described that while there is uncertainty for what her future holds, she is committed to finishing an environmental science degree and spend more time mountain biking.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2jR47Qj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...