Wednesday 28 December 2016

Wiggins bids adieu to professional cycling

http://ift.tt/2ia6kpv

Bradley Wiggins said his goodbyes to professional cycling in a post today on the Facebook page of his Continental squad, Team WIGGINS. The 36-year-old winner of the 2012 Tour de France leaves the sport as Great Britain's most highly decorated Olympian, having won five gold medals on the track and road. Wiggins is also an eight-time world champion across both disciplines.

"I have been lucky enough to live a dream and fulfil my childhood aspiration of making a living and a career out of the sport I fell in love with at the age of 12. I've met my idols and ridden with and alongside the best for 20 years. I have worked with the world’s best coaches and managers who I will always be grateful to for their support," Wiggins wrote.

"What will stick with me forever is the support and love from the public though thick and thin, all as a result of riding a pushbike for a living. 2012 blew my mind and was a gas. Cycling has given me everything and I couldn't have done it without the support of my wonderful wife Cath and our amazing kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"2016 is the end of the road for this chapter, onwards and upwards, 'feet on the ground, head in the clouds' kids from Kilburn don't win Olympic Golds and Tour de Frances'! They do now." #WIGGINS

Wiggins won the Tour de France in 2012, the same year he won the Olympic time trial gold in London. He won the time trial world championship in 2014. Wiggins also currently holds the UCI Hour Record of 54.526km. In his road career, Wiggins won the overall in Criterium du Dauphine, Paris-Nice, Tour de Romandie, Tour of Britain and Tour of California. He also wore the leader's jersey in each of the three Grand Tours.

After winning the Gent Six Day with Mark Cavendish, Wiggins hinted that he might continue racing on the track in 2017, and was included on British Cycling's Team Olympic Podium Programme.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2iGIX3J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...