Friday 30 December 2016

Gear of the year: Russell Eich's 2016 MTB picks

http://ift.tt/2iOBLXl

2016 is wrapping up. It was an amazing year with tons of riding, lots of fun trips and loads of incredible bikes and equipment. As I reminisce about the best gear of the year, I asked myself what things have I used the most, which do I miss, and which products do I choose over other options? From full bikes to the little necessities in every rider's life, here are some standouts for me.

Fox Transfer Factory dropper post

Dropper posts have quickly become a must-have item for most mountain bikers. However, a bunch of posts' reliability has left a lot to be desired. This is where Fox's updated Transfer Factory post comes in. Not only does it have an ultra-smooth, controlled action, it's also been rock solid reliable all season. I dig the remote size and feel, I like the clunk that signifies the saddle is at full extension, I admire the ease of a simple cable for installation, and I really appreciate being able to modulate the speed of return. But most of all, I love that I haven't had to pull it apart and rebuild it.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Rocky Mountain Pipeline

I'll admit, I've been a huge fan of Rocky Mountain's Froriders since before I could adjust a derailleur. Wade Simmons is still my hero. A lot of those early freeride lines were performed on a Pipeline. This new version is a pretty far cry from the URT goodness of the 90s, but it's still crazy fun with 27.5 plus-size tires. The Pipeline wasn't the lightest, or longest travel, or most expensive bike I rode this year, but it was amazing in that I instantly felt at home maching into seriously rowdy terrain aboard it. 

Possibly more than any other bike, it encouraged riding like a total hooligan: forget line choice, don't worry about setting cornering speed, just hang on and look for the next section to get stupid with. In fact, the more I rode it, the more surprised I was by how capable it was. Leave the competitive angst at home, the Pipeline is a mountain bike for the everyday rider looking for fun above all else. 

TLD A1 MIPS Vertigo helmet

Nox Composites Kitsuma wheels 

Shimano AM9 shoes 

Rocky Mounts Tomahawk bike mount 

Qloom Hey Dude liner shorts

Maxima Chain Pro lube

You can read more at BikeRadar.com



via BikeRadar All the latest from BikeRadar.com http://ift.tt/2ihjzF1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...