Saturday 27 February 2016

World champion Armitstead wins Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite Women

http://ift.tt/1TdZY5h

Lizzie Armitstead won the women’s European season opener at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad on Saturday. The world champion soloed across the line in Gent, celebrating the victory in her rainbow jersey debut. Armitstead’s win marks the first time a world champion has graced the top step of the podium at the Belgian Classic.

Chantal Blaak delivered a one-two for Boels Dolmans as she bested Tiffany Cromwell (Canyon-SRAM) in the reduced bunch sprint.

“That wasn’t the plan,” a breathless Armitstead told Cyclingnews moments after her solo effort. “That wasn’t the plan at all. When I was away I was almost hoping they would catch me. I was out there way too long.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Armitstead found herself in what she called “an accidental breakaway” when she lifted the pace with 20 kilometres remaining.

“It wasn’t an attack,” Armitstead insisted. “It was people messing around and watching each other and not watching me, which never happens, so that was really cool.

“I went to the front of the group and accelerated and somehow ended up on my own.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://ift.tt/1XRz6a9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...