Monday 29 February 2016

Stephen Roche's dream team

http://ift.tt/1LQ3tH0

In a new run of features, Cyclingnews sits down with some of the sport's well-known personalities as they pick their cycling dream teams. This week, 1987 Tour de France, Giro d’Italia and World Championship winner Stephen Roche selects his dream team of nine riders.

Leader: Stephen Roche

I think that one of the qualities that stood out in me was the way that I managed my team. I was very tactical, and I didn’t make the guys ride on the front just for the sake of it. When I made them ride on the front it was because something important was about to happen – it wasn’t just a defensive move. That way, when I put my hand up to get them to ride at the front, they would do it without asking any questions.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

I was very good at being able to read a race, prepare for it from a tactical perspective, and then execute the plan. Although I didn’t win a lot, I was capable of winning most races – I was a good climber, a good time triallist, a good all-rounder, although I wasn’t a great sprinter, which made it difficult to win Classics. But when it came to stage races, and especially the Grand Tours, I had what it takes to win them. I recovered very quickly from one day to the next, which meant that the big tours were more generous to me in terms of victories.

Image courtesy of Pro Cycling Trumps

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://ift.tt/1LQ3ue6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...