Friday 26 February 2016

Annette Edmondson: I still don't see myself as a World Champion

http://ift.tt/1XQ15Hn

They make them tough in the Edmondson family, and less than two weeks after colliding with a car Annette Edmondson is gearing up for the Track World Championships in a few days' time. Edmondson will be defending two world titles in London in the team pursuit and the omnium.

Those two gold medals in France were her first world titles, and the moniker of champion is one that the 24-year-old is still coming to terms with 12 months on, and she's hoping that will help her going into London. "I still don't see myself as a World Champion. I saw a photo of myself, from behind, riding in the bunch with the rainbows on and it hit me that hey I'm the world champion and I'm technically the best in that group, and I'm the one that everybody is after and want’s to beat."

"It's strange because for so long I've been the chaser and the underdog. Even though it's been a year it still doesn't feel like I'm on top. I think I'm going to go in with that mindset and maybe try and forget that last year did happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Australia's endurance women also took the individual pursuit with Rebecca Wiasak and, despite her setback, Edmondson has got high hopes. "After the success of last year, we want to keep the ball rolling especially with it being a home crowd. That's going to be an added challenge for us because it does make a difference," she said.

"We want to stay on top and take that advantage into Rio. If we can win here, then it is going to put us a few steps in front. We're not sure what we're going to expect, but we're aiming for the win, and we'll be disappointed if we don't get that."

Edmondson's title defence almost didn't happen after she collided with a car on a blind corner while riding at around 50kph. Aside from a large bruise on her leg, she came out largely unscathed and – judging by the photos – it was the car that came out worse. There were some initial concerns about her shoulder when she was unable to lift it for some days. That has healed, and she had her first track session in London on Thursday, which went better than ever.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1LiZBn1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...