Thursday 30 April 2015

Modolo gains confidence after Tour of Turkey stage win

http://ift.tt/1DOnERo

In surging through on the uphill sprint finish on the fifth stage of the Tour of Turkey on Thursday, Sacha Modolo (Lampre-Merida) removed a hefty weight from his shoulders. It was the Italian’s first victory of the year and served as a timely confidence boost ahead of the Giro d’Italia.

“This year I’ve come here [to Turkey] to prepare for the Giro d’Italia but I also wanted to win so I would go there with a good mentality knowing that I was strong,” said the upbeat 27-year-old after his win.

“I’ve been good since January but I haven’t managed to get the win but my preparation has been good and today is the confirmation.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

His frustration with the way his campaign has panned out so far is understandable. In the previous two years he got off the mark at the first race on his calendar – the Tour de San Luis – and by this stage last year he already had six wins to his name. This season, though, things haven’t worked out quite as well, despite a string of top 10s, including fourth and second in the first two stages in Turkey.

“I wanted this because in January in Argentina I was up against [Fernando] Gaviria who was a surprise and [Mark] Cavendish and since then I haven’t really been in the sprints,” said Modolo.

“In Tirreno [Adriatico] I fell in the first stage so I wasn’t there, then at [Three days of] De Panne I started getting back into the sprints. In Turkey I wanted to be there. Today I got the win and it gives me confidence going into the Giro.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1DGjw4C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...