Wednesday 28 June 2017

Tour de France debutant Paddy Bevin ready for the unknown

http://ift.tt/2s2v84Y

For defending Tour de France champion Chris Froome, baring serious injury, he is all but assured of lining out each July for the French Grand Tour. For Paddy Bevin, he only received confirmation he would be making a Tour debut just over a week out from the race and one day before Cannondale-Drapac announced its roster.

"I was a fairly late inclusion. I wasn't really on the long list until after Tour de Suisse so it was a big of a last minute run," a relaxed Bevin told Cyclingnews.

The Tour de France will be the second Grand Tour of Bevin's career after he raced the Vuelta a Espana last year having also received a late call-up.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"I had twice as much time as the Vuelta a last year so that is something," he said of the race he was forced to abandon due to injury. "I think it is just something that is part of being where I am in the team. I am not the first on the list and so it is part and parcel of this league. It has been the story of my year. I have had a few races come and go and adapting to that has been a skill."

Following an interrupted start to the season, a consistent Bevin finished sixth overall at the Tour of Norway, rode the Hammer Series, the headed to the Tour de Suisse. Racing without any pressure of nailing down a Tour position at Suisse, Bevin recorded four top-ten results including a narrow loss to Philippe Gilbert on stage two.

"If you are racing in June, any strong performances will help your cause for a Tour spot. I don't think any team will turn away riders who are showing they are on form. It was obviously in the back of my mind, but in some ways it was nice, as selection hadn't hung over my head. Going into Suisse, it wasn't even on my radar. My radar was Suisse and restock from there."

Kiwi representation

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2uj5zNN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...