Tuesday 27 June 2017

Cardoso denies taking EPO, requests B sample test

http://ift.tt/2seuzsW

In the wake today’s UCI announcement that André Cardoso (Trek-Segafredo) tested positive for EPO in an out-of-competition control earlier this month, the Portuguese rider has denied ever having used EPO or any performance enhancing drug. Cardoso said he has requested his B sample be tested “as soon as possible.”

Writing on Facebook, Cardoso, who has been provisionally suspended by both the UCI and his team until results of the B sample test return, said he would never let down his team, teammates or the sport.

“Today, I received notification from the UCI that my A Sample, from a urine test done at my home on June 18th, tested positive for Erythropoietin,” Cardoso wrote on Facebook. “I have requested to the UCI that my B sample be tested as soon as possible.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Cardoso was brought on board Trek-Segafredo this year in part to support Alberto Contador in the Tour de France. This year would have been the 32-year-old’s first crack at the Tour after having raced the Giro d’Italia three times and the Vuelta a España four.

“Getting the chance to ride at the pinnacle of professional cycling is the greatest honor I could ever hope for, and I was looking forward to doing my best for my team and myself at the Tour,” he wrote. “I believe in clean sport and have always conducted myself as a clean athlete, but I realize that this news puts a dark cloud on not just myself but also on our sport and my team, teammates and staff.

“Before anything else, those people are my friends and colleagues for whom I have unlimited respect, and under no circumstances would I ever do something that could put them, their families or their reputations in jeopardy.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2sjHlBB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...