Saturday 27 May 2017

Giro d'Italia: Yates and Jungels to battle for best young rider prize in final time trial

http://ift.tt/2rtmy2e

While Nairo Quintana, Tom Dumoulin, Vincenzo Nibali and Thibaut Pinot fight for overall victory, the final pink jersey and the final podium places, Adam Yates and Bob Jungels will contest and equally intense and equally close fight for the best young rider’s white jersey.

Jungels took the lead in the competition for best rider under 25 since on the slopes of mount Etna on stage four and held it until Thursday’s mountain stage to Ortisei. The Quick-Step rider had extended his lead in the Sagrantino time trial but then lost a crucial 2:43 and ceded white to his Orica-Scott rival in the intense 137km, five-climb stage through the Dolomites.

Jungels was dropped on the Pass Gardena but rode a virtually solo time trial for the last 50km to limit his losses. He recovered well and managed to finish on the same time as Yates on both Friday’s stage to Piancavallo and Saturday's to Asiago.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

He is currently ninth in the overall classification, 28 seconds down on Yates but has the advantage of more muscle, power and time trialing prowess for the 28.3km Monza to Milan time trial.

“I had two very good days and I’m very happy for that. I’m in a good position for tomorrow now,” Jungels said.

"When we started this race three weeks ago, my goal was to finish in the top 10 overall and I'm there now, which means a lot considering the high level of the race this year. I’m tired like last year but I think the level is a lot higher than last year. On top of that, I took a stage, which is really great. Tomorrow, I will try to cap it off with the white jersey; it won't be easy, because Yates is a great rider, but I will do my best."

Yates realistic about his chances

Shared interests help save Dumoulin's chances of overall victory

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2qnmwJi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...