Sunday 28 May 2017

Giro d'Italia: No regrets for Nibali after finishing third overall

http://ift.tt/2sbzTbS

Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) was the first rather than the last to be called onto the final podium of the 2017 Giro d'Italia in Milan on Sunday and had to accept third place overall behind Tom Dumoulin (Team Sunweb) and Nairo Quintana (Movistar). He failed to win a third pink jersey but finished on the final podium for the fifth time in his last five appearances at the race. He has collected nine podium finishes in the last 13 Grand Tours he has ridden.

Dumoulin out-gunned both Nibali and Quintana for the top step of the podium in the final 29.3km time trial, with the Sicilian losing 54 seconds to the Dutchman on the road to Milan. He beat Quintana by 30 seconds in the time trial but finished nine seconds down on the Colombian after 21 stages of intense racing.

Nibali appeared relaxed and ease during the whole of the Giro d'Italia and was of the same demeanour after the podium ceremony. He can be stern and moody when not on form but he feels he did the best he could in this year's Giro d'Italia.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"I wanted to finish on the top step of the podium but I've no regrets because I gave my very best," he said after also taking his daughter on the podium to collect the Trofeo Bonacossa for his aggressive racing and stage victory in Bormio.

"This is an important podium and an important result for me. I always expect more from myself but I think I did my best."

Dumoulin 'totally deserved to win'

Nibali rode to win but accepted defeat at the hands and legs of Dumoulin. He congratulated the Dutchman despite their tense exchange after the stage to Ortisei when the Dumoulin said he hoped Nibali and Quintana would finish off the podium.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2rLY5oU

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...