Thursday 28 July 2016

Viviani names Gaviria as chief rival for Omnium at Rio 2016 Olympics

http://ift.tt/2aqlofl

Elia Viviani has named world champion Fernando Gaviria as the favourite for the Omnium at the Rio 2016 Olympics, but warned that Mark Cavendish will arrive in Brazil better prepared than he was for March’s World Championships in London.

Viviani placed fourth in London after leading into the final event, but complained afterwards that Cavendish, who took 6th, had sprinted against him in order to aid Gaviria in the final points race.

“I’d put Gaviria ahead of everybody,” Viviani told Gazzetta dello Sport of his rivals in Rio. “Then there’s [Glenn] O’Shea and Cavendish, who will be stronger than he was at the Worlds. He was really very strong at the Tour de France. He surprised me. Roger Kluge will be dangerous in the final points race. [Lasse Norman] Hansen is the outgoing champion. He’s hidden a bit but he shouldn’t be underestimated.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

At the London 2012 Olympics, Viviani slipped from first to sixth after a poor showing in the kilometre, but the Italian is adamant that he has improved in timed events over the past four years.

“If I’d prepared for the kilometre before London the same way I’ve prepared for it for Rio, I’d have won a medal. Back then, I was targeting the group events and less focused on the timed ones. This time, I think I’ve prepared for the Games without neglecting anything,” Viviani said.

“I watched those London Olympics back for the first time only a few weeks ago. Let’s say that the blow hasn’t been absorbed completely. I’ll only digest it if something special happens in Rio.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2akf99w

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...