Friday 29 July 2016

It's a sprint, not a Maratona...

http://ift.tt/2ajVEjD

“Well done, mate! Love the magazine. Good luck on the Giau!” On the whole cyclists are a smashing bunch, aren’t we? I’m one-and-a-half climbs into the 2016 Maratona Dles Dolomites, dragging my pathetically under-trained arse up the Passo Pordoi (9.2km at an average of 5.9%) and, spotting my Cycling Plus kit, a fellow member of the 935-strong British contingent (more than 10% of the field) here in this stunning bit of Italy is bellowing encouragement as he glides past me.

Of course, I shouted my thanks back to Chris – I think that was the name printed on his number, he was going much faster than me and I was having trouble focusing… But I didn’t have the heart/balls to correct him. The Passo Giau, you see, comes at around 87km of the full Maratona route. That’s a 138km killer of a course that takes in nine Dolomite passes – well, eight actually but the Campolongo is tackled twice – and is widely acknowledged as being one of the world’s toughest sportives and a bucket-list must. And the 9.9km, 9.3% Giau is the event’s toughest climb.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Even as Chris – we’ll stick with that name – gave my spirits a lift, I knew I wouldn’t even get a sniff of the Gaiu. Those of you who’ve ridden the Maratona, or checked the course maps, will know that only the long route uses it. Opt for the six-pass, 106km, 3130m middle course and you miss it… But I wasn’t doing that one. Nope, I, the editor of Britain’s Best Selling Cycling Magazine had, dear reader, opted for the Classic route.

Maratona dles Dolomites Classic

Classic, of course, means something like definitive, the highest quality, outstanding… Or in the case of the Maratona Dles Dolomites the 55km route! I know, I know on paper it looks like I wimped out. In reality, though, I, I, I… okay I wimped out. Sort of. Sure, 55km isn’t a long ride but before you mock me too much it still involved four damned big passes – Campolongo, Pordoi, Sella and Gardena – and a total 1780m of climbing. Not bad for just over 30 miles!

Stunning scenery, super singing, weird weathermen

Climb, descend, repeat

You can read more at BikeRadar.com



via BikeRadar All the latest from BikeRadar.com http://ift.tt/2ajVeK9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...