Saturday 28 May 2016

US Pro Championships: Finish line quotes

http://ift.tt/1qTkeN6

Greg Daniel (Axeon Hagens Berman) - race winner

Honestly, we came in here with just Logan Owen and myself, and we were thinking Logan for the sprint and me for the breakaway. It worked out pretty well from the start, I was in the break and Logan could just sit on and let the other teams do the chasing. When we got caught, a few counter attacks went. In the last lap Logan was off the front, and I could just relax. When he got caught, there were a few moves that went, but I think everyone was pretty tired at that point, so I was just following wheels. And the other teams - I didn't have full support, and other teams were giving me water. It's nice to have that cycling family. It's nice to see the camaraderie and sportsmanship.

[On coming off Tour of California]: I know a lot of the time after you race an eight-day stage race, you either come off really good or are completely destroyed. That really helped with the form today. I went in to Tour of California well rested, and after it I took a nice break. I opened up with the time trial yesterday - a 'nice' one hour opener. Today, I felt really good. Prior to that I was racing with USA Cycling and Axeon in Europe, and I think constantly racing and having the miles in the legs helped me today.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Alex Howes (Cannondale) - second place

We just had three of us, and we tried to put a little pressure on the other teams. We wanted an aggressive race. I think we did that pretty well. Ben [King] was phenomenal, Phil [Gaimon] was as good as you could ask anyone to be. They did a good job of keeping me in the race, keeping it active, and putting the hurt on them. It's pretty hard not to be able to win for them.

[On the Winston-Salem course] It's not a very challenging course, so it had to be an aggressive race if it was going to be hard, and it was certainly hard. I don't think it's a bad course, but when you're putting together a championship event, you need something that's open to anyone in the nation, I suppose. It is frustrating that it was pretty tactical especially the last few laps.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/20POiW6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...