Tuesday 31 May 2016

Appendectomy forces de la Cruz out of Criterium du Dauphine

http://ift.tt/1t0mpAo

David de la Cruz has been pulled from Etixx-Quick Step's Criterium du Dauphine squad having undergone an appendectomy in Girona's Hospital de Palamos. The 27-year-old started the Giro d'Italia last month with the team but was a non-starter on stage 16 while sitting in 36th place on the general classification.

De la Cruz described his disappointment with having to miss the important pre-Tour de France race considering his current form.

"I'm upset, because the condition was there, despite having to abandon the Giro d'Italia, and I was eager to race Dauphiné, especially as last year I came 13th in the GC," de la Cruz said. "But things are as they are, so I will now take a rest."

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

The former Caja Rural and NetApp-Endura rider will have three weeks off the bike to recover before resuming his training. As a consequence, de la Cruz's racing programme for the second half of the season will be adjusted accordingly with a third Vuelta a Espana appearance in August a possibility.

"Once I'll return to training I will talk to the team about my program and goals for the remaining of the season, because now I'm even more motivated to show what I can do," added de la Cruz who is out of contract at the end of the 2016 season.

Etixx-Quick-Step are yet to name its Criterium du Dauphine squad for the race, starting Sunday.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1r2xFKE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...