Tuesday 31 May 2016

Kristin Armstrong still optimistic about Olympic selection

http://ift.tt/1Y1895K

When Kristin Armstrong finished third in the USA Cycling Professional Road National Championships time trial on Friday, it looked as if it could be a big blow for her bid to be selected for the US team for the Olympic Games in Rio, but the two-time gold medallist in the discipline is still optimistic about her chances for selection.

Carmen Small (Cervelo-Bigla) won the title, with Amber Neben second at 23 seconds - Armstrong was a distant 1:08, an uncharacteristically poor showing for the defending US champion.

Armstrong chalked her performance up to the heat and humidity and the fact she just came off four days of intense racing at the Tour of California, which Small had not raced. Neben competed in the WorldTour stage race, but wasn't battling for the overall classification.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"I'm glad I still ended up on the podium. It wasn't what I wanted, but Carmen had a good ride and so did Amber," Armstrong said.

"It's pretty simple. I'm not from humid conditions, and after about 20 minutes I began overheating. If you saw my power file it just plummeted. I had difficult times in humidity before, but I felt like Chattanooga last year I had an early start, so I don't feel like I dealt with that then. The last time I dealt with this is Augusta in 2011."

In Augusta, Armstrong was again third by more than a minute from Evelyn Stevens and Neben.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1TVmPSi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...