Sunday 29 May 2016

Arndt closes Giro d'Italia with unexpected stage win

http://ift.tt/1skC5hc

A strange kind of glory for Nikias Arndt (Giant-Alpecin). The German thought his Giro d'Italia had ended quietly with second place on Turin's Corso Moncalieri, only to find half an hour later that he had, in fact, claimed the biggest win of his career.

Giacomo Nizzolo (Trek-Segafredo) was first across the line at the end of a chaotic finale stage 21 on the banks of the Po, but his joy at a long-awaited maiden Giro stage win turned to consternation when the race commissaires climbed aboard the broadcast unit near the finish to review the sprint.

The images showed that Nizzolo had deviated from his line in the final 50 metres, hemming Sacha Modolo (Lampre-Merida) in against the barriers. After nigh on 30 minutes of deliberation, the jury decided to relegate Nizzolo and declare an incredulous Arndt the winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Arndt endured a rather delicate moment as he waited behind the podium to accept the day's spoils, as he spied Nizzolo, who was on hand to receive the red jersey of final winner of the points classification winner.

"I went behind the podium and I saw him there, and he was not looking happy," Arndt said. "I thought ‘Should I go to him and speak to him?' But I was just there and waiting, it was not my decision.

"So I did not speak to him yet, and I can imagine he is really disappointed. If I was in his position, I would be disappointed, no question. But I hope he can enjoy what he got here, the red jersey for the second time. He did a good Giro."

Watch 2016 Giro d'Italia stage 21 highlights video

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1NX43JR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...