Tuesday 29 September 2015

News shorts: Zandio to retire at end of 2016, Veikkenan announces retirement

http://ift.tt/1Vq1kWS

Zandio says 2016 will be his final season

2016 will be Xabier Zandio’s 16th and final season as a professional cyclist. The Spaniard toyed with the idea of hanging up his wheels at the end of this season but has signed a one-year contract extension with Team Sky.

“I started the year with some doubts, not knowing how it was going to go, but in the first races of the year I felt good, motivated, and I decided to continue for another year. It’s an awesome team both on a sporting and human level so I’m made up to be extending," said the 38-year-old, according to Biciciclismo.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“It will be my last year – I’m very sure of that. I’m convinced. I think it will be time. Maybe more because of the psychological side of things than the physical. It’s a long time, I’m knocking on the door of my 40s and in truth I don’t see myself racing as a 40-year-old. I have an urge to lead another sort of life and be with my family. In principle I don’t have any real inclination to stay chained to cycling. Changing appeals to me."

Zandio has a wife and two young children. After spending 10 years under Eusebio Unzué’s Spanish team currently known as Movistar, he has been with Sky for five years and has outlined his ambition to ride a Grand Tour in his final season after not riding any this year.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1Lj1m3o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...