Wednesday 29 July 2015

Phil Gaimon: What does it mean to be a clean bike rider?

http://ift.tt/1JwSu7D

September, 2010:

“Bzzzzz” went the tattoo needle.

My sister has a tattoo. If she can do it, I can do it. This is important. I’m a tough pro bike racer. I won’t feel the pain.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“Bzzzzz.”

After an hour of feeling a lot of pain, I had a Fight Club-esque bar of soap with the word CLEAN on my right bicep, where it would stand out if I could ever manage to win a race. It was poorly done (I got it touched up twice before so that it wasn’t embarrassing), but I was proud when I limped out of there, legs still sore from finishing nine minutes down, in 34th place, at the US National Championships road race in Greenville that morning.

Many assumed it was hatred for dopers that made me take that step, and sure, I’ve had some enemies and bitter moments, but that wasn’t the reason. Ben King and Taylor Phinney had just won the National Championships, so how angry could I be?

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://ift.tt/1SNObFK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...