Friday 22 December 2017

Boom to undergo surgery for cardiac arrhythmia and miss Tour Down Under

http://ift.tt/2Dy5evW

Lars Boom will miss the Tour Down Under as he must undergo surgery for cardiac arrhythmia in early January, but the Dutchman is hopeful that his Classics campaign will not be unduly compromised by his delayed start to the 2018 season.

Boom revealed his heart condition during the LottoNL-Jumbo team presentation in Veghel on Friday morning, but evinced confidence that he can recover quickly.

“The team doctor and cardiologist assured me that it is not dangerous and that it can easily be remedied,” Boom said. “I am well on my way. I have to put in many training hours during the first two weeks of January, and after that, I will take a break.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Bahrain-Merida rider Ramūnas Navardauskas was recently cleared to return to competitive action in 2018 after undergoing surgery for cardiac arrhythmia in September. Boom’s LottoNL-Jumbo teammate Robert Gesink was successfully treated for the condition during the 2014 season.

According to De Telegraaf, Boom first became aware of an issue during a holiday in Curacao and sought medical advice following a recent training camp. “I let myself be examined, which took away my anxiety, but it’s still annoying,” Boom said. “I now have medication and I can just train on until early January, then I will be off the bike for a week and a half.”

Boom had planned to begin the 2018 season at the Tour Down Under, but his season debut will instead be postponed until February. As ever, the cobbled Classics will be the centrepiece of the Dutchman’s spring, and although he was bullish about his prospects of reaching April in top form, he conceded that he might be short of condition come Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Belgian cycling’s Opening Weekend in late February.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2kHSAmf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...