Wednesday 29 November 2017

Sabatini turns down Kittel to rekindle Viviani partnership at Quick-Step

http://ift.tt/2ilVLSF

Fabio Sabatini was asked by Marcel Kittel to join him in moving from Quick-Step Floors to Katusha-Alpecin this winter but, despite the lure of continuing a partnership that has blossomed in a short space of time, the Italian has chosen to stay put and rekindle an old alliance with Elia Viviani.

Kittel joined Quick-Step in 2016 and Sabatini, who was previously part of a Mark Cavendish lead-out train that never really clicked, was promoted to last man for the German. They hit it off instantly, with Kittel winning early in 2016 and going on to take victories at the Giro d'Italia and Tour de France, and then taking no fewer than five wins at this year's Tour.

"When I ride with Fabio I know it doesn't matter what happens – I have great confidence in him. He has the experience, the calmness to wait for the right moment," said Kittel as early as last May.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

The 29-year-old now leaves for Katusha as Fernando Gaviria steps up as number one sprinter at the Belgian team, but Sabatini has resisted the persuasions to go with him.

"Marcel asked me to follow him, but during the Tour I spoke with [Quick-Step manager] Patrick [Lefevere] and he told me about the option of a new project with Viviani. I raced with Elia five or six years ago at Liquigas, and I liked the sound of the project and I decided to stay here for the next two years," Sabatini told Cyclingnews at the recent Saitama Criterium.

"I like it at Quick-Step, it's a big family, so in the end it was not so difficult to take this decision to stay. I'm happy."

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2AoqcyK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...